Sugarloaf Ridge Park Features:By using our Kenwood trip itinerary website, you can arrange your visit to Sugarloaf Ridge State Park and other attractions in Kenwood.
1) Best views in the North Bay. From Bald Mountain’s 2,700-foot summit you can see San Francisco, Napa Valley, Sonoma Valley, Mt. St. Helena, Snow Mountain, and the Sierras.
2) A lovely seasonal waterfall on Canyon trail.
3) 25 miles of hiking trails. Everything from an easy 1-mile nature trail to a challenging 8.2-mile loop over Bald Mountain.
4) Great mountain biking and horseback riding trails.
5) Incredible diversity of landscape: Cool redwood forests, flower-filled meadows, and bird-rich chaparral.
6) The Robert Ferguson Observatory offers monthly “Star Parties” where the public can see the heavens through the observatory’s three large telescopes. (for info see www.rfo.org)
7) Family Campground with 47 sites. Now with hot showers!
8) Group Campground with room for 50.
9) Interpretive visitor center open on weekends.
10) Tranquil creek side picnic area.
11) Managed by Team Sugarloaf. Five local non-profits – working hard to keep your park open.
12) Fees: $8.00 day-use, $49.00 annual pass and $35.00 camping.
See you soon at the Headwaters to the North Bay and Gateway to the Stars!
Team Sugarloaf is a partnership of five non-profit organizations dedicated to the natural resources of Sonoma Valley and to providing access to the natural haven of 3,900 acres provided by Sugarloaf Ridge State Park: Sonoma Ecology Center (lead partner overseeing general operations), Valley of the Moon Natural History Association, Sonoma Trails Council, United Camps Conferences and Retreats, and the Robert Ferguson Observatory.
Sugarloaf Ridge State Park reviews
We spent the morning hiking to the waterfalls as the area had recently received a lot of rain and it was raining when we were there too so we knew the waterfalls would be great. There is a couple of..... more
We spent the morning hiking to the waterfalls as the area had recently received a lot of rain and it was raining when we were there too so we knew the waterfalls would be great. There is a couple of..... more »
We loved our hike...Vista to Grey to Bald...and back to the parking area. Such incredible 360 views. Many Sonoma vineyards, gorgeous green hilltops, Mt. Diablo, Mt. Tam and the tips of the Golden...
We loved our hike...Vista to Grey to Bald...and back to the parking area. Such incredible 360 views. Many Sonoma vineyards, gorgeous green hilltops, Mt. Diablo, Mt. Tam and the tips of the Golden... more »
Great trails and a wonderful place to really feel “away from it all” without having to drive too far out of Santa Rosa. I suggest taking Los Alamos Rd. now that the entrance is re-opened after the recent fires. Trails aren’t paved or the easiest, but with that said, still an awesome place to Hike and experience wide open spaces, Forrests, Creeks, amazing views, and more. Never fail to see all kinds of wildlife, and it’s a GREAT place for star-gazing, or nighttime photography. (Not as much light pollution) A final warning though, I have seen more rattlesnakes here than anywhere else I hike, as well as my only experience walking up on a bear in Sonoma County. Be prepared, be smart, and aware of your surroundings. Always keep a look out, and ALWAYS bring your Bear Mace!
Beautiful park. Went on the morning creekside nature walk led by Sue who was great with explaining all of the trees, plants and wildlife that live here. I saw quail, squirrels, woodpeckers, blue jays, robins, crows, deer, and a fox stroll through my campsite. There's also an observatory which has events here and there. Campsites on the right and in back as you drive across the bridge are well shaded. The others got full sun and it was 90 on the last weekend of September. Lots of trails and park is recovering well. Recommend hiking early in the day.
Plan your trip to Kenwood
Compose it!Your own itinerary for your car vacation, beach vacation, city trip, any near or distant journey ... ready within 10 minutes.
Customize it.Refine your plan. We find the best routes and opportunities.
Book it.Choose from the best accommodations (Expedia, AirBnB), airlines and activities, by yourself or share with travel professionals for the utmost experience. Up to 50% discount!
Do it yourself.Or share your plan with travel professionals for a customized trip
Popular things to do in Kenwood
Side trips from Kenwood
Wineries in Kenwood
Hidden gems in Kenwood
Shopping in Kenwood
Spas in Kenwood
Trips in Sugarloaf Ridge State Park by other users
13 days in Rutherford BY A USER FROM SWEDEN St. Supery Winery Elizabeth Spencer Winery Inglenook 10 days in Los Angeles & San Francisco BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES Los Angeles San Francisco 15 days in San Francisco & Santa Barbara BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES San Francisco Santa Barbara 15 days in San Francisco & Santa Barbara BY A USER FROM UNITED STATES San Francisco Santa Barbara